15 Dangerous Foods That Could Send Your Dog to the Vet

While dogs are our best friends, sharing our food with them is not always a great idea. The food we eat can often be dangerous for them. According to reports, almost 10,000 dogs and cats die every year due to ingesting substances toxic to them.

So, after much online research, we have curated a list of 15 common food items that are very dangerous for dogs to eat..


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Chocolate is a definite no-no for dogs as it contains theobromine, a stimulant similar to caffeine. Unlike humans, dogs metabolize theobromine very slowly, causing it to build up in their system.

This build-up can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity, an abnormally fast heart rate, and even seizures. The severity of these symptoms depends on the type of chocolate ingested. Darker chocolate, with a higher theobromine content, is much more dangerous than milk chocolate.

Grapes & Raisins

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Until now, many people were unaware of why dogs shouldn’t be given grapes and raisins. However, recently, it has been found that grapes contain high levels of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate, both of which are detrimental to dogs. Even a small amount can cause serious health problems.

Within a few hours of ingestion, your dog might experience vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, grapes and raisins can lead to sudden kidney failure. This can become even fatal if not treated promptly.

Artificial Sweeteners

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Artificial sweeteners like xylitol can be extremely dangerous for dogs. Xylitol causes a rapid release of insulin in a dog’s body, leading to acute liver failure. This can happen within 30 minutes of ingestion.

The symptoms of it include weakness, disorientation, tremors, seizures, and even liver failure. If you suspect your dog has eaten xylitol, immediate veterinary attention is crucial.


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Onions contain compounds called disulfides and thiosulphates. These compounds can damage red blood cells in dogs. This damage disrupts the ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout the body, leading to anemia.

Symptoms of onion poisoning in dogs can take several days to appear. Some common symptoms include lethargy, pale gums, weakness, rapid breathing, and dark-colored urine.


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Like onions, garlic contains disulfides and thiosulphates, which can damage red blood cells in dogs and lead to anemia. However, garlic is generally considered less toxic than onions. The amount a dog needs to ingest to experience problems is usually much higher than with onions. Still, it’s best to avoid giving your dog garlic altogether.


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

While a morning cup of coffee might perk you up, it can be very dangerous for your dog. Caffeine is a stimulant that can cause your dog to become hyperactive. It can lead to tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, and seizures in dogs.

They metabolize caffeine much slower than humans, so even a small amount can lead to problems. Depending on the amount ingested and the size of your dog, caffeine poisoning can be fatal.


Image Credit: Deposit Photos

Just like for humans, alcohol intoxication is a serious risk for dogs. Alcohol disrupts the central nervous system in dogs. It can further lead to symptoms like vomiting, drooling, incoordination, difficulty breathing, and collapse.

They can even develop Hypoglycemia, Hypotension, or Hypothermia. The smaller the dog, the more susceptible they are to alcohol poisoning. Even a small amount of spilled beer or a taste of your cocktail can make your dog very sick.

Macadamia Nuts

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Macadamia nuts are very fatty. Hence, it can increase the risk of pancreatitis in some small-size breeds. The toxic reaction of these nuts is quite swift. Within 3-6 hours of ingestion, the dog shows signs like fever, vomiting, and lethargy.

In 6-12 hours post-ingestion, the dog can start walking differently, get shaky legs, and have difficulty standing. Fortunately, with proper treatment, the dog can fully recover from the poisoning within 24-48 hours.

Dairy Products

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Most adult dogs are lactose intolerant, meaning their bodies don’t produce enough lactase. This enzyme is needed to digest lactose, the sugar present in milk and other dairy products.

Consuming dairy can lead to digestive issues like gas, bloating, diarrhea, and vomiting. However, some dogs can tolerate small amounts of dairy with no problems. If you need more clarification about your dog’s tolerance, it’s always best to avoid it.


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Large amounts of salt can be dangerous for dogs. Excessive sodium intake can lead to salt toxicosis. It can have symptoms like excessive thirst, urination, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, and seizures.

In severe cases, salt poisoning can be fatal. This is more likely to happen if your dog ingests something with a very high sodium content, like seawater or rock salt.

Yeast Dough

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Raw yeast dough poses a double threat to dogs. First, the yeast ferments in the warm environment of the stomach, producing carbon dioxide gas. This can cause bloating, which can be painful and uncomfortable for your dog.

Second, the fermentation process produces alcohol, which dogs can’t metabolize efficiently. This can lead to alcohol poisoning.


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

The flesh of an avocado contains a toxin called persin. While persin is harmless to humans, it can be toxic to dogs and other animals. Persin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, and even fluid accumulation in the chest or abdomen. The pit and skin of an avocado also pose choking hazards and can irritate your dog’s digestive system.

Human Pharmaceuticals

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Many medications that are safe for humans can be very dangerous or even fatal if ingested by dogs. This is because dogs metabolize medications differently than humans. Common medications that can be toxic to dogs include pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen, antidepressants, ADHD medications, and heart medications.

Moldy or spoiled food

Image Credits: Adobe Stock

Moldy or spoiled food can contain harmful toxins produced by mold spores. These toxins can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even liver or kidney damage in dogs. It’s best to keep your dog from eating food past its expiration date. For home-cooked food, look for signs of spoilage, like mold or an unpleasant odor.

Fruit Pits

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

The pits of many fruits, such as peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries, contain cyanide. Cyanide is a poisonous compound that can interfere with cellular respiration. It can cause rapid breathing, weakness, tremors, seizures, and even death. So, it’s important to remove the pits first to avoid the risk of cyanide poisoning.

Scroll to Top