11 Harmless-Looking Things That Can Kill You

Many things around us may seem harmless but can actually be more hazardous to our health. From food to animals to plants, simple things could cause more inconvenience, potentially leading to fatal danger. Hence, we must be mindful of how we deal with these things to avoid inconvenience.

Unripe Ackee Fruit

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Ripe ackee fruit, rich in fatty acid, is commonly consumed in Jamaica. However, an unripe Ackee Fruit is poisonous and can be fatal. It contains dangerous chemicals that can have a detrimental impact on health.

The National Library of Medicine reveals it can cause vomiting, altered mental status, and hypoglycemia. Additionally, cases of seizures, hypothermia, coma, and death have also been reported.

Due to its fatal impact, the US has banned the import of most products made from ackee fruits. Some people use ackee fruit as medicine to treat colds, fevers, and epilepsy, but there is no scientific evidence supporting this.


Polite cheerful positive smiling female worker of fish shop in apron offering fresh raw salmon to woman customer
Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Pufferfish, also known as fugu, is a delicacy in Japan. However, a chef needs years of training to prepare it properly, as it can be fatal if not cooked correctly. It contains tetrodotoxin, which is stronger than cyanide. If someone consume poisonous pufferfish, they can experience symptoms such as numbness and tingling around the mouth, salivation, nausea, and vomiting within 10-45 minutes.

According to the report from Science Direct, Japan witnesses around 50 deaths yearly due to the consumption of positioning pufferfish.

Raw Red Kidney Beans

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

When properly cooked, kidney beans are considered a good source of protein and carbohydrates. They can help with weight management, intestinal wellness, and regulating blood sugar. However, raw or undercooked kidney beans can lead to food poisoning, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Raw or undercooked kidney beans contain a high level of protein that called lectin, which can be toxic to your health. In an experiment, feeding raw kidney beans at just 1 percent of the diet caused the death of rats within two weeks.

Wild Mushrooms

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Many people in America consume mushrooms, and they have many health benefits. However, there are many varieties of mushrooms, and while some are beneficial, other can be dangerous. Wild mushrooms are one of the poisonous varieties of mushrooms. Ingestion them can lead to organ failure and even death.

Over the last 18 years, 52 fatalities have been reported due to the consumption of wild mushrooms. This variety of mushrooms contains toxins or irritants, such as cyclopeptide, ibotenic acid, and monomethylhydrazine, which can be deadly.

The Manchineel tree

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

The Manchineel tree is known as the deadliest tree in the world. Every part of this tree is toxic. It is a tropical tree with apple-like fruits that mostly grows in tropical southern North America and northern South America. In 2011, “The Guinness Book of World Records” also recognized it as the most dangerous tree in the world. 

You can experience blistering just by standing under the tree in the rain. The tree has shiny leaves and fruits that smell and taste sweet, but don’t get fooled by it. It is reported that Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon died after being shot by an arrow coated with the poison of the Manchineel tree.

Excess of water

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Water is harmless, but only when consumed within certain limits. Believe it or not, drinking water in excess can be deadly. A man needs 3.7 litres of fluid daily, whereas a woman needs 2.7 liters to maintain the shape of the cells inside the body.

Consuming more fluid than this may cause water intoxication. A condition where the cell swells, including those in your brain, due to excess water. This can also cause brain damage and death.

In 2005, a 21-year-old-men died after being forced to drink an excessive amount of water between the rounds of push-ups.

Tylenol pills

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Tylenol is a medicine used to treat pain and fever. It contains an ingredient named acetaminophen. An overdose of this drug can be fatal. When you consume a normal dose of Tylenol, acetaminophen breaks down in your liver within 1 or 2 hours and is excreted through your liver. However, an overdose changes the way it’s metabolized in your liver, which may kill cells and cause tissue damage.

In 2016, Around 28 percent of death cases were reported due to liver failure caused by acetaminophen overdose.

Carbonated Beverages

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

According to the study, 180,000 deaths have been reported worldwide due to sugary drinks; out of these, 25,000 have been reported in the United States alone. These carbonated beverages are loaded with sugar and many calories and have little or no nutritional value. They can cause multiple diseases related to digestion, obesity, and diabetes among people.

Household Cleaners

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Most household cleaners contain dangerous chemicals, including VOCs. These chemicals vaporize at room temperature and release harmful gases. These gases may cause chronic respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and headaches.

Mixing these cleaners with bleach or any other ammonia product may also produce harmful gases. These gases can lead to chronic breathing problems and even death.


Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Starfruit contains a neurotoxin called caramboxin that the kidneys filter out when we eat them. However, starfruit can be deadly for people with kidney issues or on dialysis. The caramboxin cannot be filtered out and may reach the brain, causing vomiting, weakness and confusion, and can even lead to seizure, coma, or death.

According to a study, eight dialysis patients died after eating starfruit in the past ten years. Death occurred within five days of consuming the fruit.

Excessive Alcohol

Image Credit: Adobe Stock

Alcohol has numerous side effects on health and can significantly impact both mental and physical well-being over time. Drinking alcohol excessively, whether over time or in a single instance, can lead to heart failure, stroke, Cancer, high blood pressure, and many deadly diseases.

Between 2020-2021, an average of 488 deaths per day were reported each day in America due to excessive drinking. The number is increasing every year as more and more people consume alcohol and overlook its fatal impact.

Scroll to Top